Area Studies (English Philology)
Department: english philology
|Semester||Amount of hours||Lecturer||Group(s)|
|3||24||Oksana Spodaryk||Ina21, Ina22, Ina23, Ina24, Ina25, Ina26|
|Semester||Amount of hours||Group||Teacher(s)|
The program of regulatory discipline “Area Studies” has been compiled in accordance with educational and professional training programs for educational qualification of “Bachelor” (6.020303, Philology).
The object of the course is the study of political, economic and social structure of British society and its language and history.
Interdisciplinary connections: discipline “Area Studies” is related to such subjects as the basis of Linguistics, History, Grammar, Lexicology, Stylistics of Foreign Language, Introduction to Germanic Philology.
The program of the course consists of two structural modules:
1. History, culture and language of the community;
2. The social and political situation in the UK.
- Biagini, Eugenio F. (ed.). Citizenship and community: liberals, radicals and collective identities in the British Isles, 1865-1931. Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Black, Jeremy. A history of the British Isles. Macmillan, 1996.
- Black, Jeremy. An illustrated history of eighteenth-century Britain, 1688-1793. Manchester UP, 1996.
- Black, Jeremy. The British abroad: the Grand Tour in the eighteenth century. Sutton, 1992.
- Braund, David. Ruling Roman Britain: kings, queens, governors and emperors from Julius Caesar to Agricola. Routledge, 1996.
- Cain, P.J., & Hopkins, A.G. British imperialism: innovation and expansion 1688-1914. Longman, 1993.
- Conner, Patrick W. (ed.). The Anglo-Saxon chronicle. Vol. 10: The Abingdon chronicle, A.D. 956-1066. Brewer, 1996.
- Cross, Claire (ed.). Patronage and recruitment in the Tudor and early Stuart Church. Univ. of York, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research, 1996.
- Cruickshanks, Eveline, & Corp, Edward (eds). The Stuart court in exile and the Jacobites. Hambledon, 1995.
- De Groot, Gerard J. Blighty: British society in the era of the Great War. Longman, 1996.
- Dovey, Zillah. An Elizabethan progress: the Queen’s journey into East Anglia, 1578. Sutton, 1996.
- Ellis, Peter Berresford. Celt and Saxon: the struggle for the supremacy of Britain 410-937 AD. Constable, 1993.
- Erickson, Carolly. Our tempestuous day: a history of Regency England. Robson, 1996.
- Gaunt, Peter. Oliver Cromwell. Blackwell, 1996.
- Garner, John S. (ed.). The company town: architecture and society in the early Industrial age. Oxford UP, 1992.
- Given-Wilson, Chris (ed.). The illustrated history of late medieval England. Manchester UP, 1996.
- Gransden, Antonia. Legends, traditions and history in medieval England. Hambledon, 1992.
- Greenhill, Basil. Advent of steam: merchant steamship before 1900. Conway Maritime, 1993.
- Greenwood, Sean. Britain and Europe since 1945. Blackwell, 1992.
- Hamilton, Donna, & Strier, Richard (eds). Religion, literature, and politics in post- Reformation England, 1540-1688. Cambridge UP, 1996.
- Harrison, Brian. The transformation of British politics, 1860-1995. Oxford UP, 1996
- Hennessy, Peter. Never again: Britain 1945-51. Cape, 1992.
- Higham, Nicholas. Rome, Britain and the Anglo-Saxons. Seaby, 1992.
- Hill, Michael. Welfare State in Britain: political history since 1945. Routledge, 1993.
- Holloway, Sally. Courage high: a history of firefighting in London. H.M.S.O., 1992.
- Jenkins, Terence Andrew. Parliament, party and politics in Victorian Britain. Manchester UP, 1996.
- John, Eric. Reassessing Anglo-Saxon England. Manchester UP, 1996.
- Lowe, Rodney. The welfare state in Britain since 1945. Macmillan, 1992.
- Mann, John C. Britain and the Roman Empire. Variorum, 1996.
- Marquand, David, & Seldon, Anthony (eds). The ideas that shaped post-war Britain. Fontana, 1996.
- Morgan, David, & Evans, Mary. The battle for Britain: citizenship and ideology in the Second World War. Routledge, 1992.
- Morrill, J.S. (ed.). Revolution and Restoration: England in the 1650s. Collins & Brown, 1992.
- Morrill, John (ed.). The Oxford illustrated history of Tudor and Stuart Britain. Oxford UP, 1996.
- Neillands, Robin. War of the Roses. Cassell, 1992.
- Radding, Charles M., & Clark, William W. Medieval architecture, medieval learning: builders and masters in the age of the Romanesque and Gothic. Yale UP, 1992.
- Richards, Thomas. The commodity culture of Victorian England: advertising and spectacle, 1851-1914. Verso, 1992.
- Robinson, Olivia F. Ancient Rome: city planning and administration. Routledge, 1992.
- Schwarz, Bill (ed.). The expansion of England: race, ethnicity and cultural history. Routledge, 1996.
- Strickland, Matthew (ed.). Anglo-Norman warfare: studies in late Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Norman military organization and warfare. Boydell, 1992.
- Strong, Roy. The story of Britain. Hutchinson, 1996.
- Underdown, David. A freeborn people: politics and the nation in seventeenth-century England. Clarendon, 1996.
- Wilson, Kathleen. The sense of the people: politics, culture, and imperialism in England, 1715-1785. Cambridge UP, 1995.