As part of the collaboration of the Department of Classical Philology with Lviv educational institutions, a teacher of Latin at the Lviv Academic High School at Lviv Polytechnic National University, a graduate of the Department of Classical Philology Tymchuk I. S. on March 11, 2020 held a master class for students of the Department, during which she told students about her teaching experience, got acquainted with the peculiarities of teaching Latin in the gymnasium, forms and methods of teaching and stimulating cognitive activity of students.Read more »
Department of Classical Philology
- About the Department
- Educational courses
- Lecturers' schedule
- Teaching materials
About the Department
|PRACTICAL PROGRAM:||PROGRAM OF PEDAGOGICAL (ASSISTANT) PRACTICE:||PROGRAM OF RESEARCH PRACTICE:|
The Department of Classical Philology is one of the oldest in the L’viv University. The traditions of the speciality reach as far back as to the XVII century. The prime of its development falls on the first half of the XXth century. At that time the world’s famous scholars such as L. Tsviklinskiy, Y. Kovalskiy, R. Sinko, R. Hanshynets, Y. Manteyfel, Y. Kourylovytch, S. Vitkovskiy worked at the Department. In the post-war period the Department was headed by the Professors of V. Pastoushchyn, M. Bilyk, Y. Didyk, Y. Kobiv, V. Maslyuk, R. Olenytch. From 1997 to 2002 the Associate Professor of R. Dombrovskyi was in the head of it. A very important role in the development of the Department during the pos-war period played Professor Y. Kobiv. He was the first editor of the republican scientific journal “Problems of the Classical Philology”, initiated a scientific school on antique languages researches’ grammar heritage studies. On the so-called “Lviv Period” (1953 – 1964), falls the the activity of the Professor of the international renown S. Luorye. His fundamental researches enriching world’s Classical Philology “Stable Words in the Function of the Predicate in the Indo-European Languages”, The Language and Culture in the Mycenaean Greece”, “The Fundamentals of the Greek Historical Phonetics” were published enriching the world’s Classical Philology.
Professor R. Olenytch explored the Antique Grammar Theory resulting in his monography “Priscian and Antique Grammar” published in 1973.
The subject matter of Professor V. Maslyuk was the Antique Theory of Artistic Language and its influence on the Theory of Literature development in Ukraine in the first half of the XVIII century. In 1983 his monography “Latin Poetics and Rethorics of the First Half of theXVIII Century and Their Role in the Ukrainian Theory of Literature Development” was published. At the same time, Professor V. Maslyuk translated a good deal of works by Latin speaking Ukrainian authors of the period into Ukrainian.
The staff of the Department also works on the preparing of the text books and manuals on Old Greek and Latin Languages as well as on Antique Literature. The translation belongs to one of the major scientific activities of the department. The whole school of artistic translation has long become a deeply rooted tradition. Its outstanding representatives are: Professors M. Bilyk, Y. Moushak, Y. Kobiv, V. Maslyuk, Y. Tsybko. For the fertile activity in the sphere Professors Y. Kobiv and A.Sodomora were awarded the Laureate Nominee of Ukrainian Union of Writers named after Maksym Ryl’skyi for Translation.
At present, the Department of Classical Philology comes to 2 Professors, 8 Associate Professors, 1 Senior Lecturer and 5 Lecturers. All of them conduct both seminars and practical classes on Old and Modern Greek Languages, have theoretical courses on Old Greek and Latin grammar, methods of teaching Latin, history of Old Greek and Roman Literatures, history of Antique Culture as well as other special courses.
There are post-graduate courses at the Department.
In 2000 the Centre of Greel Language and Culture named after Arseniy Elassonskyi was launched.
The Department of Classical Philology supportes scientific contacts with the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, with the Classical Philology Institute of Technical University of Dresden, the Embassy of Greece.
The department has a student scientific circle.
The graduates of the Department of Classsical Philology receive the speciality of “Classical Philology, Lecturer of Old Greek and Latin Languages” together with the additional specislization of “Lecturer of English Language”.
|Chairperson, Professor (by-worker)Bohdan Chernyukh||Chairperson, Professor (by-worker)|
|Associate ProfessorMarkiyan Dombrovkyi||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorRoman Dombrovskyi||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorLina Hlushchenko||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorKhrystyna Kuybida||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorLesya Myslovska||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorOlha Nazarenko||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorRoksolyana Olishchuk||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorOlha Pylypiv||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorOleksiy Safronyak||Associate Professor|
|Senior LecturerNadiya Revak||Senior Lecturer|
|Senior Department SecretaryMaryana Moroz||Senior Department Secretary|
|Department SecretaryMarta Hnatyshak||Department Secretary|
|Postgraduate StudentNazar Vashchyshyn||Postgraduate Student|
- Teachers of the department prepared and issued such textbooks and manuals:
- Olenich, Latin. Lviv, 1993;
- Maslyuk Ancient literature. Reader. Ancient Greek poetry in Ukrainian translations and retellings. K., 1994;
- Olenich, B. Chernyukh. Latin for gymnasia. Lviv, 1994;
- Safronyak, B. Chernyukh. Latin primer Lviv, 1995;
- Olischuk Greek. Syntax. Lviv, 1996; V.Maslyuk Ancient Roman poetry in Ukrainian translations and recipe. Reader. Lviv, 2000;
- Myslovskaya Modern Latin Medical Terminology. Tutorial. Lviv, 2000;
- Revach. Latin for non-specialist departments. Lviv, 2002.
- Olischuk Lingua Latina. – Lviv, 2003.
- Olenich R.M, Chernukh B.V. Latin: Lviv, 2nd edition, supplemented, World, 2007
- Chernukh B.V. Historical grammar of the Latin language. Lviv: 2008
- Sodomor A.O., Dombrovsky M. B. Anno Domini. Latin inscriptions of Lviv: 2008
- Vatseba O.A., Oliynyk L.R. Lectura Latina: 2008
- Roman Elegy. Per. from lat. A.O. Sodomori: 2009
- Latin Language and Basis of Biological Terminology / Revak N., Sulim V., Nazarenko O. – Lviv: Circle, 2014 – 403 s .;
- Father’s hand / collected and edited by A. Sodomor. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic, 2014 – 298 pp.
- Mesovskaya L.V., Pylypov O.G., Oliynyk L.R. The Latin Language and Fundamentals of Legal Terminology / L.V.Mislovskaya, O.G.Pylypiv, L. R. Oliynyk // The Handbook for Higher Educational Institutions of the III- IV accreditation. – Lviv, 2015 – 318 p.
- Greek epigram: translations / from Greek translated A. Sadomora // Bell. – No. 2-3. -2015- P. 129-144.
- Olishchuk R. L., Makar I. S. Ancient Greek. Textbook for students of the 1st year of classical philology and humanities faculties of higher educational institutions / R. L. Olishchuk, I. S. Makar. – Chernivtsi: Bukrek, 2015. – 454s.
- Safroniak O. Latin language: textbook / O. Safroniak, V. Voloshchuk, M. Voloshchuk. – Lviv: LNU named after Ivan Franko, 2015 – 458 pp.
- Zhovkivsky F. M., Zhovkivska G. A., Sulim V. T., Ivasyutin T. D., Makar Yu. I., Popesku IV, Safroniak O. V., Furdas M. G., Glushchenko L. M., Zorbas F., Druel I. S., Morano L. The wisdom of folk – wisdom international: Proverbs, sayings, winged phrases and linguistic translations in twelve languages / F. M. Zhovkivsky, G. A. Zhovkivska, V T. Sulim, T. D. Ivasyutin, Yu I. Makar, I. V. Popescu, O. V. Safronyak, M. G. Furdas, L. M. Glushchenko, A. Zorbas, I. S. Drule , L. Morano // tutorial. – Chernivtsi, 2016. – 348 p.
- Melina Mercury. I was born in greek. / Translation L.Gluschenko, M.Mokrivskaya, K.Parashchak.-Lviv: Chervona Kalina, 2016. – 255 s.
- The History of the Antique Language Studies (O. Safronyak, N. Revak);
- The Latin Wordbuilding (R. Dombrovskyi, L. Hlushchenko, R. Olishchuk, I. Romanyuk);
- The Synonymy of the Adjectives in Old Greek and Latin Languages (L. Myslovska, O. Malynovska);
- The Category of Number in Latin Language (O. Nazarenko);
- The Problems of Lexicology in Old Greek and Latin Languages (M. Mokrivska, L. Oliynyk, O. Kurudz);
- The Literature Process in Antiquity (A.Sodomora,M.Dombrovskyi);
- The Problems of Contrastive-Historical Language Studies and the Syntax of a Verb (B.Chernyukh);
- The Contrastive Analysis of Old and Modern Greek Languages (L.Hlushchenko, M.Mokrivska);
- The Reception of the Antiquity in Ukrainian Literature (R. Dombrovskyi)
CONGRATULATIONS to Assistant of the Department of Classical Philology, Senior Laboratory Assistant of the Department of World Literature Savula Andriy on successful defense of his Ph.D. thesis on "The Intensity of Aattributive Trait in Latin(on the Material of the Poetry of the Augustine Epoch)" that took place in Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Institute of Philology).Read more »
Christmas and New Year Greetings from Greek ColleaguesRead more »